I am an algal biotechnologist with 15 years of international experience (Ukraine, Russia, France, Malaysia, Mexico, Thailand, UK). My main expertise lies in algal physiology (light and nutrients influence on algal culture), focusing on lab and mass scale (up to 2000L) cultivation, algal biofouling, algal pigments and products development from algal biomass. I have expertise in algal bioremediation of wastewater and flue-gas mitigation.
I am currently working at Swansea University as a Research Officer and I strongly believe in applied research to help solve the technological bottleneck for the business development and societal challenges.
Talk to me about
- Algal physiology (abiotic and biotic conditions influence on cell metabolisms)
- Mass cultivation in semi-industrial scale PBRs (up to 2000L)
- Bioremediation of wastewaters and mitigation of flu-gases by algae
- High-value product production and extraction (pigments)
- Applied Industrial research, knowledge transfer
- Biofouling and new innovative methods of prevention
- Algal taxonomy and ecologic evaluation of primary production
- Teaching and training
I have experience in communicating with academic/scientific and business facing audiences, I have organised 8 national and international workshops (Malaysia, UK)
- The Potential of Microalgae Biotechnology: Production and use of microalgae
- Cultivation, Harvesting, downstream processing and Product development from microalgal biomass
- Downstream biomass processing technologies for algal and bacterial product recovery
- Novel products and waste minimisation via algal technologies and membrane separation process
Collaboration with companies
Working with 66 Welsh and 50 international SMEs and big companies in algal biotechnology sector
- Tata Steel strip Products (Wales and India)
- Dwr Cymru Welsh Water (Wales)
- Pilots4U, #H2020
- Phycopigemnts UK-Mexico # Innovate UK Newton project
- “Exploring chlorophyll-f and associated metabolism for improved intensive cultivation of cyanobacteria†”(#BBSRC Phyconet proof of concept project 20015-2016)”
- ENALGAE 2010-2015 Energetic Algae – Developing algal production technics and biofuel technologies# NWE Interreg
- ACCOMPLISH 2011-2013 # Algal Carbon Capture and BiOMass Production – LInked Supply cHain
- Advanced Bio-Products from Algal Biomass 2012-2014 # A4B (Academia for Businesses)
- BioAlgaeSorb 2011-2013 # FP7
- ShellPlant 2010-2012 # FP7
- Algal Biotechnology KTC 2010-2013 # A4B
- Microalgae as Potential Adjuvant Candidate for Mucosal Vaccine Against Pasteurellosis in Livestock 2009-2010(Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Project, Malaysia)
- Culturing larvae of Abalone on Diatom Biofilm 2009-2008(Malaysia-Canada-France collaborative project)
- Biofuel from Microalgae 2008-2010 (Malaysian Academy of Science project)
- Sexual reproduction and marennine production in the pennate diatom Haslea ostrearia 2007-2008, French-Ukrainian scientific project PHC DNIPRO
Silkina A, Zacharof M-P, Hery G., Nouvel T, Lovitt RW 2017. Formulation and utilisation of spent anaerobic digestate fluids for the growth and product formation of single cell algal cultures in heterotrophic and autotrophic conditions. Bioresource technology: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2017.05.133
Silkina A, Nelson GD, Bayliss CE, Pooley CL, Day JG., 2017. Bioremediation efficacy—comparison of nutrient removal from an anaerobic digest waste-based medium by an algal consortium before and after cryopreservation Journal of Applied Phycology:1-11 doi:10.1007/s10811-017-1066-x
Coward, T., Fuentes-Grünewald, C., Silkina, A., Oatley-Radcliffe, D.L., Llewellyn, G., Lovitt, R.W., 2016. Utilising light-emitting diodes of specific narrow wavelengths for the optimization and co-production of multiple high-value compounds in Porphyridium purpureum. Bioresource Technology 221, 607-615.
Baglieri, A., Sidella, S., Barone, V., Fragalà, F., Silkina, A., Nègre, M., Gennari, M., 2016. Cultivating Chlorella vulgaris and Scenedesmus quadricauda microalgae to degrade inorganic compounds and pesticides in water. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-10.
Silkina A., Flynn K., Llewellyn C., Bayliss C. [eds] 2015. Standard Operating Procedures for Analytical Methods and Data Collection in Support of Pilot-Scale Cultivation of Microalgae. Public Output report WP1A3.01 of the EnAlgae project, Swansea, September 2015, 395 pp.
Fuentes-Gruenewald, C., Bayliss, C., Zanain, M., Pooley, C., Scolamacchia, M., Silkina, A., 2015. Evaluation of batch and semi-continuous culture of Porphyridium purpureum in a photobioreactor in high latitudes using Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy for monitoring biomass composition and metabolites production. Bioresource Technology 189, 357-363.
Silkina, A., Nelson, G.D., Bayliss, C.E., Day, J.G., 2015. Bioremediation efficacy – comparison of anaerobic digested waste-based media by a mixed algal consortium before and after cryopreservation. European Journal of Phycology 50, 179-180.
Silkina, A., Bazes, A., Mouget, J.-L., Bourgougnon, N., 2012. Comparative efficiency of macroalgal extracts and booster biocides as antifouling agents to control growth of three diatom species. Marine Pollution Bulletin 64, 2039-2046.
Silkina, A., Bazes, A., Vouve, F., Le Tilly, V., Douzenel, P., Mouget, J.-L., Bourgougnon, N., 2009. Antifouling activity of macroalgal extracts on Fragilaria pinnata (Bacillariophyceae): A comparison with Diuron. Aquatic Toxicology 94, 245-254.
Silkina, A., Segaran, T.A.L.C., Nor, N.Z.B.M., Wahid, M.E.A., 2009. Gene regulation in the marine diatom amphora sp upon exposure to diuron and potential antifouling extracts from macroalgae. Phycologia 48, 120-121.
Bazes, A., Silkina, A., Douzenel, P., Fay, F., Kervarec, N., Morin, D., Berge, J.-P., Bourgougnon, N., 2009. Investigation of the antifouling constituents from the brown alga Sargassum muticum (Yendo) Fensholt. Journal of Applied Phycology 21, 395-403.
Bazes A., Silkina, A., Defer, D., Bernede-Bauduin, C., Quemener, E., Braud, J.-P., Bourgougnon, N., 2006. Active substances from Ceramium botryocarpum used as antifouling products in aquaculture. Aquaculture 258, 664-674.