I am an aquaculture technician with more than 7 years of experience in the field of micro and macro algae cultivation and biotechnology, fish and crustacean larviculture, on -growing and welfare. I am a confident user of flow through and recirculation aquaculture systems applied to different purposes. I am a marine environmental scientist with a 2 year master in aquaculture. I am excited about every living creature in the marine environment.
Talk to me about
- micro and macro algae cultivation, biochemistry and biotechnology;
- finfish larviculture;
- zooplankton cultivation;
- fish welfare and physiology;
- RAS and flow trough systems
I have been following and doing science communication specifically on finfish:
- welfare indicators and physiological parameters
- larval development, nutrition and skeletal deformities
- cleaner fish species rearing (i.e. lumpfish – C. lumpus)
LUMPFISH (2014-present). Production of cleaner fish for biological control of sea lice in the salmon industry, in conjunction with Marine Harvest (Scotland-UK).
MACROBIOCRUDE (2013-present). Establish an integrated supply and processing pipeline for the sustainable manufacture of liquid hydrocarbons from seaweed. ALGAL BIOTECHNOLOGY FOR . ADVANCED BIO-PRODUCTS (2014). Enhance current expertise and infrastructure to expand markets for algal-based bio-products.
UKOA (2012). Investigation into the potential effects of ocean acidification on commercially important marine species. NEPHROPS (2012-2013). Developing new techniques in hatchery rearing, fishery enhancement and aquaculture for N. norvegicus.
QUALIFISH (2007-2008). Testing organic feed on the welfare and growth performances of D. labrax.
BIOTEL (2005-2006). Pilot project for the reduction of stress factors in aquaculture trough physiological telemetry techniques.
BIOIMPACT (2006). Analysis of the environmental impacts of sea bream commercial sea pens.
GRUND / MEDITS / selectivity (2004-2005-2006-2007). Sampling of demersal marine species for stock assessment.
I co-authored several peer reviewed papers and congress communications and posters, latest of which are:
- Fuentes-Grünewald, C. Bayliss, M. Zanain, C. Pooley, M. Scolamacchia, A. Silkina (2015). Bioresource Technology, 189: 357–363.
- E.C. Pope, R.P. Ellis, M. Scolamacchia, J.W.S. Scolding, A. Keay, P. Chingombe, R. J. Shields, R. Wilcox, D.C. Speirs, R. W. Wilson, C. Lewis, and K. J. Flynn (2014). Biogeoscience, 11, 2519–2530.
- M. Izquierdo, M. Scolamacchia, M. Betancor, J. Roo, M. J. Caballero, G. Terova, P. E. Witten (2013). British Journal Of Nutrition 109:1796–1805.
- Carbonara P., Corsi I., Focardi S., Lembo G., Rochira S., Scolamacchia M., Spedicato M.T., McKinley, R.S. (2010). Marine Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology, 43(4):283-296.
- Lembo G., Carbonara P., Scolamacchia M., Spedicato M.T., Jan Eyolf, Bjørnsen, Bård Holand, McKinley R.S. (2007). Fisheries Management and Ecology, 15 (5-6):333-338.
You can find my complete profile and list of publications on Linkedin, Academia.edu and Research gate.